Thursday, January 04, 2007

... Purl Patchwork

There is a little bakery cafe in soho I like to visit. It's called Once Upon A Tart. We discovered it during our first trip to Manhattan years ago. This past summer when Amy found ourselves hungry in Soho, we decided to stop in.

After sharing a divine sandwich, we strolled past the neighboring stores. A little shop painted seafoam green caught our attention. In fact, I happen to remember a man on a ladder painting that shop years ago. It's named Purl for the knitting stitch and its filled with rows of vibrant colored ball of yarn. We wandered in and let it improve our moods. The employees were friendly, encouraging us to stay as long as we like though all we are doing is looking up and down the rows of colors, a smile adorning our faces.

We eventually stroll out only to find a similarly painted seafoam shop three storefronts down. Purl Patchwork is filled with the most lovely bolts of material. Amy, a sewer herself, inquired about quality and sizes while I just stared. Every one of those bolts held the most wonderful designs. The urge to learn to sew came upon me suddenly as it's obvious these fabrics need to somehow incorporate their way into my home.

As it turns out, Amy had been asking questions of the owner of Purl and Purl Patchwork- Joelle Hoverson. She is a Stanford graduate and has written books on knitting. Fascinating. What a charmed life it seems she leads. I bite my tongue to avoid telling her that she should have named the sewing shop "Stitch" and practically have to sit on my hands to fight the urge to photograph her store interior (most stores don't like that). It's just simply beautiful. And that, my friends, is how I was wooed into my newest hobby-- sewing.

Have I actually sewn anything? No. But I did find a modest machine on sale for a very reasonable price. Jeff's mom did set me up with all the accoutrements I will need to accomplish the task. And, Amy and I are going to get together next week to choose material and place an order with our favorite find. So you see... I'm practically a pro already!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Purl!!! I have had her blog on my bloglines for a long time!!! And visit her online store and Flickr site often. I had tons of stuff on her shop on my Christmas list. HEE HEE She seems to photograph alot so I bet she wouldn't think it strange your urge to photograph her store. Wow I would love to see it in person. I am jealous.

I to love places that look just so. There is this play place I take my kids and I so love the way it looks I just want to bring my camera and go nuts. I am trying to get to know the owner more before I show up with it. HEE HEE.

So for your sewing adventure I love Fabric.com. I have gotten lots of cute fabric from them for great prices. And they will send you swatches. I also have a list of crafty sewing blogs if you want me to forward them to you.

Good luck in your new adventure. I am loving knitting now.

Speaking of knitting. Do you know how to circular knit? Where you don't have to stitch up one side of the hat? I want to learn how to do that. Do you know of any good books that teach that?

Can't wait to see what you create!

Anonymous said...

Yahoo! A post on my favorite stop in NYC!! (Ok, so one of my favs...Mariebelle & Once Upon a Tart are also on the "must go to" list!) Man, just going into those places makes you feel like a seamstress. It's like home depot/Lowes...all the ideas start coming...rather dangerous, but so FUN!

Bethany, I would LOVE to get that list of crafty sewing blogs from you! Please share!

'Shell, can I just say that I'm SO excited about our picking out fabric/yarn date! Hope you have several HOURS set aside!

Anonymous said...

Ooo, I'll have to write those shops down for a trip to NYC! I've looked at the book you mention and had no idea it's by the same woman who runs Purl!