Monday, December 10, 2007

... the Sonoran Desert

One of the stranger things about being in Arizona was being in a desert. I realize how obvious it sounds -- yes, Arizona is desert. But it was surreal to be driving through it every day, like I was in a cartoon or a western or something.

At first glance it seemed dull -- drab colors and ugly brush -- but it grew on me. Upon a closer look I noticed the nuances and beauty it had to offer. Not to mention all the animals. Some of them pretty surprising...

Like hummingbird

& Mountain Goat?!




These are Javelina. They are the size of a small dog, have a snout like a pig, but are more like a rat. They are smelly and not very nice tending to chase humans. These were too busy eating though.


The cacti were lovely.




This is what happens to a cactus after it dies. A cactus skeleton.


The sun is so hot that the public rest rooms offer free sunscreen. How kind of them. It made me think of Amy.


Thanks for vising with me!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those animal pictures remind me of when we went to the zoo in DC and Matt took those pictures of the pictures. Remember? We had fun tonight! Thanks again!

Bekah said...

Haha! Sunscreen in the bathrooms...that is Amys ideal! Although it would probably have to be SPF 50 for her liking!

Michelle said...

Oh yeah Kimmie, I remember him doing that. Although, these are all pictures of actual animals taken by me. Not pictures of pictures or anything shady like that. What do you think I am anyhow?!! hehe.

Nice hanging out with you again! :)

Catherine said...

Very cool. I agree, the desert has a very stark beauty. Love the hummingbird!

Thanks for breakfast! It was fun catching up :)

abbey said...

Very cool pictures Michelle!

Ginger said...

great shots Michelle! I cant beleive you saw all those animals for real! I never see anything good when I have the chance. Mark LOVES the desert, too...maybe we'll get to vacation there sometime.

Jennifer said...

I loved the pictures. I hope to see Arizona myself someday. It looks beautiful. Can't wait to have dinner with you!
I love you friend.

Jennifer

Judy said...

Very nice pictures Michelle. I can't say that I'm a fan of the desert... but you made it look beautiful. :)

Billie said...

Very cool pictures. I don't think I would be liking the desert with the size of the spider in the picture. You look so cute in the last picture. Miss you.

AmyB said...

DANG! I'm puttin' one of those up in our guest bathroom :-) What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Ha! I am sorry. you know my scattered thoughts. Shoot, I ain't trying to say that girl! p.s. don't know where I pulled that ghetto sentence of! Love ya!