Wednesday, October 03, 2007

... Weekends

I love being outdoors year round, but it just seems extra special in the fall -- especially listening to the wind blow through the dry, crunchy leaves. The past few weekends have been lovely around here and Jeff and I have been soaking it up. Here's a bit of what we've been up to.


- A drive to Williamsburg to get a yummy sandwich at the Cheese Shop and have a picnic on the campus of William and Mary.
- Lounging at a local coffee shop watching the world walk by. I finished a book while he finished a crossword puzzle.
- A recreation of the cheese shop picnic this time with homemade sandwiches and at the park in my neighborhood. I started a new book and we both worked on a crossword. We were surrounded by joggers, playing puppies, and a kickball and ultimate Frisbee game. Very picturesque. Very neighborhood-y.
- A 2.5 hour walk through the neighborhood, watching labs chase balls into the river and admiring the architecture.
- A 4 hour walk through the neighborhood and downtown Norfolk. This time stopping at the new swanky grocery store and gathering necessities for an impromptu picnic at the pagoda.
- Tossing and chasing a Frisbee through the park across the street from my house.

We have some time set aside in a few weeks to go camping, hiking, and apple picking. :-) [Actually, would any of you locals have any camping gear you'd be willing to lend us? So far we have, pretty much, well, nothing. hehe]

Ahhh autumn.... What have you been up to?

13 comments:

Ashleigh said...

Sounds so relaxing .... :-)

We are planning on going pumpkin picking this Saturday. Olivia's SO excited!

anne said...

ooo...you have done well!
Definately my fav. time of year. The air is just so fresh to me. I love the leaves changing and falling.
We are going to a pumpkin patch and corn maze this weekend, and hope to camp near the smokey mountians before it gets too cold.
I have had my fall decor our for a few weeks, I must admit. I just get so excited :)

Ginger said...

ah--how nice. I sure wish I could do those things right about now. We have some gear if you need any..just name it and Ill see what we got.
see ya

Anonymous said...

I adore autumn! I'm jealous of you going camping. Although I love me 4 month old boys, we miss camping this fall. Oh well, next year! At least we can still hike.

I'm planning on going to a local orchard and getting some apples and making and freezing homemade applesauce, apple cakes, pies, muffins and dumpling with my mom.

Jennifer said...

Dear Michelle- Sounds like a blast. I love the fall, it makes me feel invigorated and energized. Sounds like some fun/relaxing/refreshing time with Jeff. Oh I wish we could go camping with you. Sounds like a blast.

I'm making home-made applesauce this week. On Friday the kids in Samuel's therapy organization get to go on a free trip to Merrymeade farms where they get to pick out their own pumpkins, eat home-made icecream, and ride on a hayride! I'm looking forward to it.

I love the pagoda. Mike and I have had some fun picinic dates there.

JL

Sara said...

WE are loving the Fall in Ga as well. We haven't gone apple pickin' yet but are hoping to soon. It's beautiful here and the kids love going on walks and playin' outside all the time!! This time of year always reminds me when we all drove to somewhere in va and went hiking when we were singles!! Fun times!!! Miss you and it was nice to talk a little at the wedding.

Love,

Sara

Leslie said...

thank you for the picture of the leaves...you eekend sounds very restful.

hosanna said...

i love fall. it is definetly my favorite season; however, fall in texas doesn't exist. i wish i could go outside and enjoy the crisp fresh air, but instead it is humid and 95 degrees. it is crazy. so enjoy all those long walks and changing leaves and fresh air for me!

Kate Van said...

Michelle, have you even rode bike at the York River State park? The bike trails are great- kinda mountain-ish. Clay & I have been twice and I want to go again soon- maybe once it cools down about 10 degrees!
http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/yor.shtml

Michelle said...

Oooh. That sound fun Katy. Thanks for the suggestion. We don't have bikes though it's something we've both talked about getting for a while. That sounds like alot of fun!

Judy said...

Fall is my favorite time of year, by far. I love how the leaves change out here, it's really beautiful. So, now it's time to make pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin bread, etc. etc. etc. Oh & carving pumpkins, gotta love jack-o-lanterns! :)

Charissa said...

hmmmm ... fall. I kind-of remember that season. Actually, today was a nippy 81 degrees but it should be back up to 91 on Monday. :0)

I do love fall but it was always hampered by the fact that fall=winter soon. I'm NOT a winter girl at all.

It sounds like you guys are making the most of a wonderful season. Have a blast! And someday we'll connect via phone again :P

Catherine said...

Such a great time of year. Norfolk is so lovely.Glad to hear you've been outside and loving it. Isn't that grocery store cool?! There's a water fountain in there - about time Norfolk had a swanky grocery store!

I miss you! When can we do AW Shucks?