Thursday, September 27, 2007

... Ryan

For the second year in a row, Ryan chose to climb with me at the VB Rock Gym in celebration of his birthday.


Ry worked the gym with complete confidence, this time around learning how to tie the knot -- a figure-eight, double backed, with a fisherman's -- required to hold him in case he fell from the 32 foot vertical wall.


My favorite climbing partner, Joy, told me once ''If you're not falling, you're not climbing hard enough." She was encouraging me to try more difficult paths and holds. Ry didn't need that encouragement.


I was impressed when he aggressively and confidently chose a path that included a deep crack and maneuvers that would have put him horizontal to the ground at about 2 stories high (something that makes my heart race and I've only succeeded at once). He even tried his hand at bouldering. This guy is a natural climber.


Ryan, I had the best time climbing with you and hanging out talking about literature and astronomy. Happy Birthday!

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Looks exciting! I've done absailing before which is really fun. But that's just bouncing DOWN the cliff - it doesn't take the energy and strength that climbing UP requires...

Meesh, I'd love to join the book club. I've wanted to read "A Long Way Gone" for ages... Let me know...

Kate Van said...

that's a great date idea too . . . looks fun!

Bethany said...

Oh I loved going there with my camp kids. Cute pics lots of fun I am sure.

Jennifer said...

So fun. Ryan is so brave. I wish I was brave enough to rock climb. I can't stand heights.

JL