Saturday, June 10, 2006

... Peekay


I've developed a crush on a little boy named Peekay. Growing up in South Africa at a time when apartheid and Hitler cast their oppressive shadows, Peekay managed to maintain youthful innocence and a genuine love for others in spite of the hatred shown them all. At a young age Peekay developed an obsession with becoming the Welterweight Champion of the World. Boxing was his goal, but not his life. His life was an amazing journey through superstition & prejudice, through love & loss.

I found myself laughing at his young ways of reasoning... Saddened at the prejudices unjustly and cruelly flung toward him... Provoked by his passionate drive... Inspired by the difference he made in the lives of those he touched... and Contemplating the fierce loyalty, camaraderie, and love between he and the unlikely people that he found friendship with.

The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Yes! They are my little men. I got to play with them all day yesterday. I'm finding they are quite protective of me as well. Lots of questions and hesitation about other men in my life. How adorable is that?!

Ashleigh said...

Michelle, I love the way you introduce the books you're reading. You do it in such a way that you capture my attention and interest, leaving me wanting to read more!

Oh, and wow! How Matthew and Ryan have grown!